The college has a duly appointed IQAC and NAAC steering Committee working tirelessly to get Accreditation from NAAC in the next few years. IQAC headed by Dr. Meena A Sangma is embarked on a path of Quality Initiatives, Quality Sustenance and Quality Enhancement in the college. The college is affiliated to North Eastern Hill University, Shillong since 1958 and is recognized under sections 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act 1956. The NAAC steering Committee created for this purpose and the various Convenors of the different criterion are working hard to prepare the Self-Study Report (SSR) of the institution and submit to NAAC office Bangalore for assessment and accreditation.
The Department of Garo, Tura Government College, was started in 1958 since the inception of the college, offering the subject as MIL (Modern Indian Language) and as an Elective subject since 1976. At present, the department offers a B A program, incorporating a range of courses and innovative teaching aimed at providing the students with intellectual activity, following the 6 semester system of NEHU. Over the years the department has produced excellent students, whose successes is reflected not only in the consistent good results every year but also mirrored in their varied and accomplished careers.
To enable the students to acquire in-depth knowledge of Garo language and literature with a commitment to innovative teaching.
- To develop the ability to use the Garo language effectively.
- In view of the literary and contemporary demands, to address literary critical appreciation and research.
- To identify various types of oral poetry, in general and more pertinently in Garo literature.
- To provide the students with the knowledge on traditional Garo sayings and word pairs.
- To take the students to places of traditional interests, festivals, etc as part of study tours which will facilitate the students to learn, enquire, examine and carry out research on the traditions of the Garos in a more innovative and profound manner.
- Besides class-room teachings the department aims to hold seminars, paper presentations, debates and competitions to assess the students’ learning evaluation and also to allow the students to showcase their talents and knowledge.
At present the Department of Garo has a faculty of six members
|Sl no||Name of the Faculty||Qualification||Specialization||Designation|
|1||Chickoo B Marak||M A||Linguistics||Senior Lecturer|
|2||Porthyna R Marak||M A||Linguistics||Lecturer|
|3||Christilla A Sangma||M A||Linguistics||Lecturer|
|4||Runa Valerie N Sangma||M A||Linguistics||Lecturer|
|5||Anna Marie A Sangma||M A||Linguistics||Lecturer|
|6||Rinkle M Marak||M A||Folk Literature||Lecturer|