The Department of Zoology, Tura Government College, Tura came into existence with the introduction of Science stream in the year 1971. Inthe year 1974, after the College was affiliated to North Eastern Hill University, Shillong, also led to the introduction of B.Sc. Pass course in the college including the subject of Zoology in the course. Zoology Honours was later introduced in the Academic session of 1993-1994. Since then the Department of Zoology had succeeded in producing good results even with minimum facilities. The two pioneers of the Department and teachers who have served as HODs are worthy of reminiscence for their contribution of education and thus uplifting the lives of the society:
- Dr.ParimalKanti Das, Associate Professor (1974-2003) and HOD (1974-2003), Promoted as Principal, Tura Govt. College, Tura (2003-2006)1. Dr.ParimalKanti Das, Associate Professor (1974-2003) and HOD (1974-2003), Promoted as Principal, Tura Govt. College, Tura (2003-2006)
- Smt. PhulbornTiewsoh, Associate Professor (1975-1994) and HOD (1988-1993)
- Smt. Chire Nora K. Sangma, Associate Professor (1983-2013) and HOD (2004-2013), Promoted as Principal, Williamnagar Govt. College, Williamnagar (2013-2014)
- Smt. Bellibone W. Momin, Associate (1987-2015), Associate Professor and HOD (2013-2015)
- Dr.Meena A. Sangma, Associate Professor (November 1993-2019 and HOD (2015-2019), Promoted as Principal, Captain Williamson Govt. College, Baghmara (2019)
Several teachers have rendered their service in this department for many yearcs: MagrishaLyngwa (1993-2016), Late Mr.LovelystarLyngdoh (1994-1997), Mr. D. K. B. Mukhim (1994-1996), Smt. IcydoraNongtraw (1996-1998), Smt. Wanda M. Dkhar (2001-2006), and Dr.ProformaSuchiang (2009-2016)
To inculcate the values of life sciences, love and respect for nature and to create concern for ethical values among students through scientific educational practices.
To endow with practical skills and knowledge of applied zoology which can assist for advanced studies and self employment among students?
|Name||Designation||Date of joining||Qualification||Specialization|
|Smti. Verlia Semchi G. Momin||Senior Lecturer||31st May, 2001||MSc||Endocrinology and Reproductive Biology|
|Shri. Taseng K. Marak||Lecturer||25th September, 2006||MSc||Entomology|
|Smti. Grimchi T. Sangma||Lecturer||6th June, 2016||MSc, NET||Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology|
|Smti. Cordelia Pearly Warbah||Lecturer||8th June, 2016||MSc, NET||Entomology|
|Dr.Silme D. Shira||Lecturer||25th September, 2018||MSc, NET, Ph.D||Entomology|
|Smt. Susan Jones Nongkynrih||Lecturer||3rd October, 2019||MSc||Fish Biology|